The Stone of Destiny

Closes 19 Sep 2019

Opened 15 Aug 2019

Overview

The following material is being published by the Scottish Government on behalf of the Commissioners for the Safeguarding of the Regalia

The Commissioners for the Safeguarding of the Regalia are seeking views on factors relevant to the future location of the Stone of Destiny.

Perth & Kinross Council, and its delivery partner, Culture Perth & Kinross, have submitted to the Commissioners a proposal for the Stone to be relocated to Perth to form the centre-piece of Perth City Hall, which will undergo a programme of extensive refurbishment.

The Stone is currently displayed within the Crown Room in Edinburgh Castle, alongside the Honours of Scotland. If the Stone remains in Edinburgh Castle, plans are being developed by Historic Environment Scotland to undertake a major redevelopment of the display of both the Stone and the Honours.

Under the terms of their Royal Warrant, it falls to the Commissioners to consider and advise upon all matters relating to the Stone. The final decision on any proposal to relocate the Stone will lie with The Queen, acting on the advice of the Commissioners.

In order to assist their consideration of these matters, the Commissioners are keen to give the public and organisations with an interest the opportunity to bring to the Commissioners’ attention any issues which might have a bearing on the advice they may offer.

Responses are requested by 19 September 2019.

 

Why we're engaging

The Stone of Destiny (also known as the Stone of Scone) forms an important part of the story of Scotland. Leaving aside the legends about the Stone’s Biblical connections, the facts of its precise origins are lost in the mists of time. The use of a special stone in the enthronement of Kings appear to be a tradition of very long standing. The Stone of Destiny may have been used in this way from the ninth century. However, the Stone first entered recorded history in 1057, when Lulach was proclaimed King at Scone. The Stone would appear to have been used in the coronation of Scottish monarchs at Scone thereafter.

In 1296, the Stone was seized and taken from Scotland to England by King Edward I. It was later placed in a specially designed Coronation chair in Westminster Abbey, which remains in the Abbey to the present day. From that time on, the Stone was used in the coronation of the future Kings and Queens of England and, subsequently, those of the United Kingdom.

In 1996, 700 years after it was taken, the Stone was returned to Scotland. Since then it has resided in the Crown Room at Edinburgh Castle where it is displayed along with Honours of Scotland: the Crown, the Sceptre and the Sword of State.

On its return to Scotland, The Queen gave responsibility for the Stone to the Commissioners for the Safeguarding of the Regalia, under Royal Warrant. The office of Commissioner was first established by King George III in 1818 when the Honours of Scotland were re-discovered in Edinburgh Castle by, among others, Sir Walter Scott, who became one of the first Commissioners to be appointed.

How to respond 

The following pages take respondents to information that has been supplied by Perth and Kinross Council and Historic Environment Scotland.  This information is provided to assist respondents in offering views about any relevant matters which they wish to bring to the Commissioners’ attention.  You will then reach the page where you can submit your views to the commissioners.

Interests

  • Constitution and Democracy