Scotland's Forestry Strategy 2019-29

Closed 29 Nov 2018

Opened 20 Sep 2018

Feedback updated 2 Apr 2019

We asked

We asked for views on a draft of Scotland’s Forestry Strategy 2019-2029: its vision, objectives and priorities, as well as the ways in which we could monitor progress.

You said

We received a total of 442 responses to the public consultation. 102 (23%) of these were from organisations, with the remaining 340 (77%) submitted by individuals. 216 of the responses from individuals (49% of the total number of responses) were identical and generated as part of a campaign led by Woodland Trust Scotland.

There was general support for the draft Strategy and its content. However, there were also numerous, yet often conflicting requests for changes to be made to the detail, structure and presentation of the document.

We did

We have published non-confidential responses to the consultation and an independent analysis of the consultation responses (links below). Alongside the final Strategy, a report outlining our approach to consultation and explaining how consultation responses informed the final content and structure of the Strategy is available at:

Published responses

View submitted responses where consent has been given to publish the response.


Diverse and versatile forests and woodlands are located across Scotland and serve both our rural and urban communities; they are valuable natural assets, providing a range of benefits which support sustainable and inclusive economic growth, sustain livelihoods, enhance our environment and improve people’s quality of life and well-being.

The Scottish Government has committed to developing a Forestry Strategy for Scotland, to set out a long-term vision for Scottish forestry within the context of our wider land use aspirations. This is in line with the Forestry and Land Management (Scotland) Act 2018 which commences on 1 April, 2019. The Act requires Ministers to have regard to the forestry strategy when exercising their forestry functions and makes provisions for what must be included in the strategy and how it must be prepared (including consultation requirements), reviewed and reported on.

Why your views matter

The Forestry Strategy for consultation builds on and modernises the approach undertaken in previous forestry strategies. It provides a 10-year framework for action to help achieve a 50-year vision for Scotland’s woodlands and forests. The content of the draft strategy underpins our ambitions for forestry, and has the principles of sustainable forest management at its core.

We want to hear your views on this draft strategy: its vision, objectives and priorities, as well as the ways in which we can monitor progress. We will use your feedback to inform the development of the final Forestry Strategy.

Download the consultation paper

Download the Partial Business and Regulatory Impact Assessment

Download the Partial Equality Impact Assessment

Download the Strategic Environmental Assessment
Environmental Report


  • Business, Industry and Innovation
  • Building and Planning
  • Children and Families
  • Communities and Third Sector
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Energy
  • Environment and Climate Change
  • Equality, Welfare and Rights
  • Farming and Rural
  • Public Sector
  • Health and Social Care
  • Housing and Regeneration
  • Work and Skills